WHAT IS AOMOJI-KEI?


I get asked "what is the name of your style?" a lot and to be frank, I'm not sure if my style even have a name for it. It's hard for me to find the right definitive title for my style but a few months ago, I discovered a new Japanese fashion subgenre called aomoji-kei (青文字系 // あおもじけい).

The term "aomoji-kei" was derived from ASOBISYSTEM's representative YUSUKE NAKAGAWA which literally meant blue(ao) lettered(moji) style(kei). The style itself is all about self-expression and not giving a care about what others think. Aomoji-kei is not about staying true to one particular genre of fashion but instead, it's an emphasis of transition. To put it in simpler terms; for an aomoji-kei person, they wear whatever they feel like wearing without bearing the thought of whether if they will impress others or whether if they will receive acceptance by society or not. Aomoji-keiers tend to switch from one style to another, depending on their likings.

And here's what our aomoji-kei icon has to say about this awesome subgenre;

"AOMOJI-KEI is about wearing whatever you want to wear without caring whether or not you look attractive, cute, or sexy. Many times, people who wear aomoji-kei fashion tend to switch between different styles a lot just depending on whatever they like and what they think is fun, so that’s why it may seem like there’s no definitive look for it." - KYARY PAMYU PAMYU



KPP is like the major goddess of aomoji-kei. With her amazing stage outfits aside, she's an icon which represents the style even on her casual street outfits and often appear on aomoji-based magazines like ZIPPER, KERA, CHOKI CHOKI GIRLS, CUTiE and many others.


Besides Miss KPP, I have a strong admiration toward another of my self-presumed aomoji-keier SETO AYUMI! She first started off as a dokusha model and made headlines with her unique style on ZIPPER. She's a lover of burgers and everything 80's, which is why I adore her! She also runs a fashion brand AYMMY.


Harajuku is the land of aomoji fashion and has made its exposure throughout the world. This movement is literally the IT thing for individuals who are obsessed with self-expression and self-freedom. With that said, here's another individual which I self-proclaimed to be an aomoji-keier.

She's a gorgeous lassie from Hong Kong and she's definitely not afraid to express herself. I am crazily infatuated by her and her amazing taste. She has every clothing, every accessory and every hair color that I have ever wanted. She goes by the screen name of RUBY GLOOM.


That is all for this entry. I hope I gave out a better understanding of this new substyle, and I'm sure many of us can relate to this. If you still haven't got the right idea of aomoji-kei yet, here are a few of my handpicked examples of aomoji-kei outfits taken from TOKYOFASHION.COM





LEAVE A COMMENT ☜
FOLLOW | BLOGLOVIN | ASKFM | FACEBOOK | TUMBLR | GOOGLE+
Contact me at awep.0666@hotmail.com

3 comments:

  1. this is the cLOSEST i can get to what style i could possibly have! agfjhknm <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the past 2 years, I really didn't know what style I had been dressed in, but this article confirmed that I have been dressing Aomoji-Kei, which is a bit odd as it's not geared towards guys. Still, I love wearing what makes me happy such as pastel tees and jeans, animal print shirts and jeans, or K-Pop/Urban Hip-Hop hybrid clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For the past 2 years, I really didn't know what style I had been dressed in, but this article confirmed that I have been dressing Aomoji-Kei, which is a bit odd as it's not geared towards guys. Still, I love wearing what makes me happy such as pastel tees and jeans, animal print shirts and jeans, or K-Pop/Urban Hip-Hop hybrid clothes.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment